My perfect, beautiful job is no longer perfect. I was informed suddenly on Tuesday by my supervisor ("I need to talk with you about utilization") that I needed to start traveling again (basically my job description) or ... lose my job (not stated in those words, but implied). Gah. And I have only 2 weeks.
So after crying on and off all day Tuesday to grieve the sudden loss of this amazing stay-at-home job where I had a totally flexible schedule and could take care of Il Tonino, I started figuring out costs, options, etc. Basically plan A is for me to resume traveling for work and find some kind of day care for Il Tonino. There is no plan B.
Two weeks to find an in-home nanny (not affordable unless I do nanny-share with another family) or find someone who provides care inside their home. The tricky part will be the hours. Urban Shaman has to be at work by 6:45 every morning, but then is home by 4. Luckily my mom has agreed to watch Il Tonino for 2 half days each week. That will really help with costs.
I asked my supervisor if I could continue being part-time, working 3 days a week. She seemed to think this was an option. So for now that is what I am going with -- I will work/travel 3 days a week (probably Wednesday-Friday). If they change their minds and say it must be 5 days a week... well, let's not go there.
Urban Shaman had surgery yesterday, so Il Tonino stayed with my mom from 10:30am to 1:30pm (when I went there for a lunch break during his surgery) and then again from 3:45 to 5:45. He did amazingly well and never asked for me. I was so very happy and relieved. I have been worried about how attached he is to me and how he will make this transition. It seems, though, I have to worry more about me than him!
Overnight should be okay. Il Tonino just transitioned into his own bed and does well there all night. He has been nursing but then falling asleep on top of me instead, so that will work well for daddy. It's the first nursing session of the morning that I'm most concerned about.
Gah. I had my life all planned out. Then life threw me this curveball. Of course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The universe likes to show us that we really can't plan everything, huh? It's a common occurrence in my life, too.
I'm sure that Jake will do fabulously well, and that you will find the perfect child care situation. (((((((hugs)))))))
Well maybe you can look for the good in what's bad. Some women are given two weeks of maternity leave and then they're fired when they don't come back. In this case you were working from home, but let's face it: your job requires travel. I think your company's been fantastic. They've given you the opportunity to be there for Il Tonino. But now they need you to do some traveling. I know you don't like it, but you can make it work :)
I know this will be a hard transition, but since il Tonino is over two, it will be hopefully easier for him than if he were younger. I'm usually only gone for most of monday and half of friday - and this week i've been gone all day everyday... and thankfully ruby has had a great time. Know that you can chat with me about it anytime! leaving your kid sucks... but when it has to be done, you can make it work for the whole family.
love to you all!
Post a Comment