We're on our own for Thanksgiving this year. Thought we might have friends come up, but that didn't happen. That's okay, I'm just glad we won't be with family this year. (I think this will be a 3rd Thanksgiving without family?)
I love my family, and I love holidays with them, but not this holiday. My mom insists on making all of the traditional fare every single year, and it is a very non-vegan spread. And she tries not to feel offended, but she is anyway, and I just get annoyed by all the food that is in front of me that I don't really want to eat, and the fact that I am regulated to a dish or two plus what *I* bring.
So since we are on our own, I get to completely plan my own, delicious menu.
This year we are having a corn chowder that I make every time we have Thanksgiving on our own. It is sooooo yummy. I also brought a small-size Tofurky -- can you believe that I have NEVER tried Tofurky before?!? I decided we should try it this year for fun.
Corn Chowder
Tofurky
Green Salad
Homemade bread (possibly millet cornbread)
And then I need to try to make a pumpkin pie. My past attempts at vegan pumpkin pies have been total failures. However, I think it just might work and be yummy if this year I use the eggs I get from the farmer's market plus hemp milk which is just about as thick and sweet as that condensed milk that you are supposed to put in those pies. I am excited to try this and see how it turns out. Urban Shaman really wants pumpkin pie.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh shit, I've got a vegan punkin pie recipe that's really good. Must find it for you. Get out of there eggs!
Also, I'm curious about those tofurky's. I'm sure you'll update on how it turns out...
ok, here it is. Tried and true. (No, I'm not waiting to find out if you want the recipe ;)
12 1/3 oz silken tofu (1 1/5 cups)
3/4 C plus 2 T sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin (15 oz cans)
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 t ginger
1/2 t salt
1/4 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves
preheat oven to 350
In food processor, blend tofu, sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Blend til smooth.
Prepare pie crust (let me know if you need a vegan recipe, I'll hook you up)
Line bottom of dish with crust
Pour mixture in crust
Bake 1 hour
Chill, uncovered in fridge before serving.
Easy peasy!
oh, fyi, this is a 9 in pie.
And, now I should get out of your comments.
Lee, I make Moon a really delicious one regularly that has coconut milk (half can) and 1/4 cup rice or hemp milk, 3-5 eggs, spices and honey. I dig that it's a veggie, fat and protein in one dish that is easily regulated on the sweetness front. So if you are willing to go with eggs, try this out!
Maybe next year you CAN host thanksgiving dinner:
http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/papercraft-turkey-dinner/
Post a Comment