This morning my mom mentioned to me that she had seen Jenny McCarthy on TV. Jenny has a son with autism and she is an outspoken advocate for judicious choices regarding vaccinations. While I do applaud her advocacy of delayed and selective vaccinations, my choice is no vaccinations. About a year ago or so my mom saw Jenny McCarthy on Oprah and was amazed to learn that a higher percentage of boys are affected by the MMR vaccine than girls are, and was glad I knew this ahead of time so that I reduced the chances of Il Tonino being harmed.
However, this doesn't mean she doesn't think I shouldn't vaccinate him at all. No. And now that he is over 2 years of age (the magic age for those who are delaying vaccinations), I can tell she's thinking about it more and trying to provoke me a bit more about it. I suppose it doesn't help that I keep using stall tactics instead of telling her outright that Il Tonino is NOT to be vaccinated. I'm just not quite ready to go there, especially since she'd have no qualms about "debating" my decision. Though how do you debate with someone who has not read lots of information on BOTH sides of the issue, but rather mostly just follows mainstream thinking in this area?? Like what Jenny McCarthy says. Argh. In the past I have tried to have discussions with her regarding my views on vaccinations, and she dismisses them all as conspiracy theories and me being cynical about pharmaceutical companies, the CDC, etc. Blah.
And now the Western financial institution is on the verge of collapse with the proposed $700 billion bailout rejected and the stock market down 777 points. It just may happen that the downfall of the financial institition will bring about the downfall of the Western medical institution. This article explains it nicely, but the FDA is tied to the pharmaceutical companies who are tied to the financial institution. It is a whole house of cards. Of course the collapse of the latter may mean I'll be out of a job, but if the whole economy and way of life is shifting, I'll shift with it. So the downfall of the Western medical institution in the USA could mean the end of the vaccines, which would then render my need for a discussion with my mother about this a moot point. Ha ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Terrifying. And hilarious.
And...to annoy you in a your-mother-type way (sorry):
...are you going to ever vaccinate for tetanus? Because we have been a no-vac family, and I recently was lectured by a naturopath about the efficacy of just getting a tetanus shot (her argument is: if your child gets tetanus, they must already have mature antibodies).
I've been scratching my head about it for a couple of weeks now...
That's great that you don't vac! We don't either. My sons' ped even admitted that they don't really need vacs in this area that we live in but she recommended at least the pertussis and tetanus shots. However, in my research for tetanus, I found out that there are THREE strains of tetanus and the shot only covers one of them. Not worth getting, in my book. Not unless my boys actually cut themselves on something that could make them sick...we'll see. =P
Post a Comment