Wednesday, October 22, 2008

No on 8

Thank goodness that this year Oregon doesn't have another one of those measures on the ballots again that want to take away rights from people, specifically same-sex couples.

However, California does -- Proposition 8.

I received this email from my cousin's cousin. Even though he is not directly related to me, I adore him and love it whenever I get to see him.

Family and Friends,

I am asking you to take some time (one minute?) and think about defeating Proposition 8 here in California, a vote that could turn back decades of equal rights progress and eliminate the right to marry for same-sex couples.

Proposition 8 is gaining a lot of momentum with their recent false ads, claiming churches will lose their tax exempt status and kids will be forced to learn in schools that Princesses marry Princesses or something. By going out of state to entities like the Mormon Church for support, Yes on 8 is more than $9 million ahead in funding. Unfortunately, this campaign will come down to ad dollars and we have about 14 days to catch up to the other side. I have been volunteering at a call center for the last week, urging voters to think about this, and this is a very tight race.

You can do several things to help, and I ask in lieu of any personal gifts this year (or next!), that you help us vote NO on this unnecessary attempt to take away some very basic rights. Please contribute whatever you can to Vote No on Proposition 8, but for starters, the cost of a wedding license in this state is $72.

If you're in California: vote NO on Proposition 8

If you're not in California: No on 8 Needs Your Support!

Donate Online at http://www.noonprop8.com/

Prefer to Send A Check? No Problem:
You can send a check to (but remember to print, fill out the below form and send it in with your check)
No On 8
c/o ML Associates, 8581 Santa Monica Blvd., #504
West Hollywood, CA 90069

Thank you - I did not copy and paste this email. This request is coming from the bottom of my heart. Please help California be the best state it can be and help me Vote No on November 4th. I've never heard of a constitution that will take away people's rights, and I never thought I would live somewhere where I wouldn't be considered worthy of the same rights as everyone else.

Thanks, and much love,
T


Even though I don't live in California, I believe the outcome of this proposition affects everyone. If you can donate, please do.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I love you! And I hate hate. Stupid, means NOTHING to your personal lives, anti-gay-marriage-anti-love-anti-not-like-me anti-dudes....argh!!! It makes me SEETHE!

Money sent. PFEH!

El Donaldo said...

I live in a YES on 8 neighborhood. My roommate has two yes-on-8 stickers on her car. So one day I asked her about them and we talked about it. My view was that it's only fair to extend rights to loving couples who want the benefits of marriage regardless of circumstance. She said the bible says it's wrong, so she's voting Yes on 8. I could have, and really wanted to, tick off the 10 commandments in order and tell her how she's violated them... But I need to live here. So I really tried to press the equality and fairness issue, but it was useless. "THE BIBLE SAYS ITS WRONG, OK?@!"

Lee said...

I HATE that argument!!! If the Bible says so, it must be the truth. Argh!! Don't these people know that the Bible was written by men with a religious/political agenda?? Thus it is totally out of context for our current times. But then again, we only know this because we are EDUCATED. Educate yourselves, people!

Ahem. Preaching to the choir here :)